Importance of Mass Media Approach in Educational Technology
- Mass Media provide information to a large population in less time.
- It is the information regarding anything that is happening in any corner of the world.
- Children’s spend hours in front of the television and visualize, hear and acquire knowledge.
- It acts as an agency of social change.
- It makes ideas clear to children and helps them to acquire correct knowledge.
- It can make information interesting and concrete.
- It helps in the modification of attitudes.
- It sends information to remote places and helps in distant learning.
Education has far greater responsibilities than before, it has to meet the demands of a dynamic world which change its character every day. The importance of home and society education has increased drastically, and so has the role of mass media like T.V, radio, press etc.
The role of some important mass media is discussed below:
- Radio: is mainly used to broadcast events so far and wide places of the world. Radio is also a source of entertainment like debates, match commentary, news, music, events etc. For teaching, many debates and news are broadcasted on the radio.
- Television: Television is becoming more and more popular today with new features, unlike radio television broadcasts various events, news, and music but with video content too. Over time it has become a more powerful tool for educational purposes also, Television plays a vital role as a means of mass media in educating the masses.
- The Press: The entire printed matter covers The Press, like books, magazines, journals or newspapers. Reading material has vast potential it exerts a good impression on the active readers. Press not only gathers events, but they also present their views on issues. So, the readers have the opportunity to analyze the issue from many perspectives. Press also contributes to education enhancement through the topics of history, science, literature etc.