Importance of Media in Teaching and Learning
1. Advantages and Disadvantages of Radio in Teaching and Learning
Radio is a part of everyday life, Radio is an effective audio aid for the teaching and learning process. Radio being a mass media communication plays a major role in the learning and teaching process in schools. It is also one of the mediums of distance education.
Advantages of Radio
- Covers the entire world and isolated places also.
- Reaches instantly to the listeners there is no delay.
- It is easily accessible.
- Ease of promotion.
- Thought promotion.
- Low cost technology.
Disadvantages of Radio
- For better understanding visual information is also necessary but radio only provides audio, and knowledge through a sense of hearing could be considered as secondary.
- It is one-way communication.
- Queries and doubts are not being analyzed through this teaching.
- It is not a flexible medium of teaching.
2. Advantages and Disadvantages of Television in Teaching and Learning
Television is an upgraded version of Radio, with the audio it shows the video content as well. It revolutionized the modern education forever.
Advantages of Television
- Television is a combination of sound and picture, and it is close to reality, it provides a realistic feel of events while learning or entertainment.
- It can bring field work and industrial work to the classroom.
- It can take the classroom to distant places.
- It can motivate the viewers.
- Best education lectures throughout the world can be delivered by video content.
- It saves time and effort for teachers and students.
Disadvantages of Television
- Television can harm an individual’s eyes.
- It can be addictive like drugs and can harm an individual’s health.
- It is a good educational source as well as a source of adult industries.
- Students may develop a habit of watching only television instead of reading and writing, it can ruin their thought and writing process.
3. Advantages and Disadvantages of Newspaper
A newspaper is a publication containing news, information and advertising, usually printed on low-cost paper called newsprint. It is often published on daily basis and contains news from all around the world. It is a good educational source for students. At present, it is considered a very powerful mass media and a necessity of civilized life.
Advantages of Newspaper
- Current event study and analysis.
- Closing the gap between information contained in books and changing development of the world.
- Newspaper contains a reservoir of resources and illustrations.
- Literary articles and fiction appearing on Sunday are useful and interesting especially for the students of literature.
Disadvantages of Newspaper
As mentioned earlier it is a mass media for civilized society, it means an uneducated person cannot read it. Newspaper lacks both audio and visual qualities, it also contains a piece of limited information for one day.