Write a note on the structure and objectives of NCERT
Note on the Structure and Objectives of NCERT
The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is an autonomous organization in India responsible for developing educational resources, conducting research, and providing support to improve the quality of school education. Established in 1961, NCERT operates under the guidance of the Ministry of Education, Government of India. Its primary focus is on enhancing the curriculum, textbooks, and teaching methodologies at the school level.
Structure of NCERT
NCERT’s organizational structure consists of various departments, divisions, and units dedicated to different aspects of education. Some key components of its structure include:
- Departments: NCERT is organized into various departments, each specializing in different subjects such as science, mathematics, social sciences, languages, and more.
- Publication Division: This division is responsible for creating and publishing textbooks, supplementary materials, and other educational resources for schools.
- Research Divisions: NCERT conducts research in areas related to education, curriculum development, pedagogy, assessment, and more. The findings from this research often influence educational policies and practices.
- Training and Extension Division: This division is engaged in organizing training programs, workshops, and seminars for teachers, educators, and other stakeholders in the education system.
- Media and Technology Division: NCERT develops multimedia materials, e-books, online resources, and educational software to enhance the learning experience.
Objectives of NCERT
NCERT has a range of objectives that contribute to the advancement of education in India:
- Curriculum Development: NCERT aims to develop a balanced and learner-centric curriculum that promotes holistic development, critical thinking, and creativity among students.
- Textbook Development: The organization creates high-quality textbooks that are based on research, pedagogical principles, and the needs of diverse learners. These textbooks aim to provide accurate information and encourage conceptual understanding.
- Teacher Training: NCERT conducts various training programs and workshops for teachers to update their teaching skills, introduce innovative methods, and keep them aligned with modern educational practices.
- Research in Education: Research conducted by NCERT contributes to the understanding of effective teaching-learning processes, curriculum design, and assessment techniques. This research informs educational policies and reforms.
- Promotion of Inclusive Education: NCERT works towards making education inclusive by developing materials and strategies that cater to the diverse learning needs of students, including those with disabilities.
- Educational Technology: The organization integrates technology into education by developing digital resources and tools that enhance the learning experience and engage students effectively.
- Educational Policy Support: NCERT provides valuable insights and recommendations to policymakers based on its research findings and expertise in curriculum and pedagogy.
- Publication and Dissemination: NCERT publishes a wide range of educational materials, including research reports, textbooks, and teaching aids, which are disseminated across the country to benefit students, teachers, and educators.
In conclusion, the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) plays a pivotal role in shaping the educational landscape in India. Its structure and objectives are geared towards improving curriculum design, pedagogical practices, and teacher capacity to provide quality education to students across the nation.