Open Learning System
1)The term “open learning” is used to describe learning situations in which learners have the flexibility to choose from a variety of options in relation to the time, place, instructional methods, modes of access, and other factors related to their learning processes.
2)Open learning is an innovative movement in education that emerged in the 1970s and evolved into fields of practice and study. The term refers generally to activities that either enhance learning opportunities within formal education systems or broaden learning opportunities beyond formal education systems.
3)Here, teachers and learners need not necessarily be present either at same place or same time and is flexible in regard to timing of teaching and learning.
The educational philosophy of open learning emphasizes giving learners choices about
1)medium or media, whether print, on-line, television or video;
2)place of study, whether at home, in the workplace or on campus;
3)pace of study, whether closely paced or unstructured;
4)support mechanisms, whether tutors on demand, audio conferences or computer-assisted learning and
5)entry and exit points.
Reason behind the conduction of open learning
1)Some learners staying away in the remote areas cannot get the education.
2)Any household problems or jobs they are engaging regularly can be the reason.
3) Some learners cannot take the regular classes and formal classes.
4) Provides training to the untrained workers like teachers too to make them trained about how to teach.
Concept of open learning
1) It is a non-formal approach to formal education. The institution is established so that the needs of the people can be fulfilled who cannot get the higher education due to some reasons.
2) Now the students should not attend the classes regularly for the further studies and universities.
3)Those people who are involved in jobs and other works cannot attend the schools regularly for their study so that this open learning can be a better way to get education.
Characteristics of Open learning
1)Open access to people who need higher education and who are not able to join the universities.
2) Students can according to their own rate.
3) Provides chance for learning while earning
4)Provides large option of learning options for the learners.
5) Students become more responsible and motivated as they are engaged in their job works too.
6) Increases the self-study power of the learners.