Menon and Patel give the following aims of the structural approach:
- To lay the foundation of English by establishing through drill and repetition of about 275 graded structures.
- To enable the children to attain mastery over an essential vocabulary of about 3000 root words for active use.
- To correlate the teaching of grammar and composition with the reading lessons.
- To teach the four fundamental skills namely understanding, speaking, reading and writing in the order named.
- To lay proper emphasis on the aural-oral approach, active methods and the condemnation of formal grammar for its own sake.
Please login or Register to submit your answer