Thus, the objectives of teaching English at the school stage may be finalised as:
- To understand English when spoken at conversational speed.
- To be able to speak English fluently and correctly.
- To read English with comprehension so that it can be used for pleasure reading as well as a library language.
- To be able to write neat and correct English at a reasonable speed.
- To enjoy simple poems in English and draw pleasure out of
- To be able to know grammar to have practical command of the language.
- To be able to do simple translations as to translate common English words, phrases and sentences into their functional equivalents in the mother tongue and vice versa.
- To develop taste for the English language and its literature.
- To be able to achieve these would in short mean that students will be able to use English in real-life situations without getting stuck up or having to stammer.
Please login or Register to submit your answer