What are the merits of Bilingual Method?
The merits of Bilingual Method are as:
- This method makes teaching English easier in Indian situation by making use of mother – tongue and the skills already learnt with it.
- The teacher can save a lot of time and is able to teach English to the entire satisfaction of the learners who get convinced fully while comparing things to their mother tongue situations already learnt.
- The method does not require specially trained teachers.
- The method permits judicious use of L I and this helps in earning L2 quite easily.
- There is no such use of Audio – Visual Aids in this method. Whenever a teacher is stuck, he/she can switch on to mother tongue.
- This methods lays emphasis on all skills of teaching -learning a language – listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- This method makes use of linguistic habits formed during learning mother – tongue.
- The method suits both rural and urban schools.