How the teacher proceeds in Direct Method?
The teacher proceeds in the following ways in the Direct Method:
- The teacher usually presents “text” a short specially constructed narrative in foreign language.
- The teacher reads loudly and the students are then made to comprehend it individually.
- It is followed by Question-Answer session. The teacher takes for granted the students grasp of grammatical rules and patterns functionally. Grammar is not taught separately.
- The teacher gives full opportunity to the students to speak the language-the sounds, sentence patterns, rhythm, intonation and “correct pronunciation is emphasized.
- The main objective of this method is to develop the spoken form.
- The student shakes hands with the target language directly.