Different Types of Essay Test
There can be many types of essay tests:
Some of these are given below with examples from different subjects:
- Selective Recall. E.g. what was the religious policy
- Evaluative Recall. For E.g. why did the First War of Independence in 1857 fail?
- Comparison of two things-on a single designated basis. E.g. compare the contributions made by Dalton and Bohr to Atomic theory.
- Comparison of two things-in generals. E.g. Compare Early Vedic Age with the Later Vedic Age.
- Decision-for or against. E.g. which type of examination do you think is more reliable? Oral or Written. Why?
- Causes or effects. E.g. discuss the effects of environmental pollution on our lives.
- Explanation of the use or exact meaning of some phrase in a passage or a sentence. E.g., a Joint Stock Company is an artificial person. Explain the ‘artificial person’ bringing out the concepts of Joint a Stock Company.
- Analysis. For E.g. what was the role played by Mahatma Gandhi in India’s freedom struggle?
- Statement of relationship. E.g. Why is knowledge of Botany helpful in studying agriculture?
- Illustration or examples (your own) of principles in science, language, etc. E.g. illustrate the correct use of subject-verb position in an interrogative sentence.
- Classification. For E.g. classify the following into Physical change and Chemical change with an explanation. Water changes to vapour; Sulphuric Acid and Sodium Hydroxide react to produce Sodium Sulphate and Water; Rusting of Iron; Melting of Ice.
- Discussion. E.g. Partnership is a relationship between persons who have agreed to share the profits of a business carried on by all or any of them acting for all. Discuss the essentials of partnership based on this partnership.